Prep Time10 mins.
Cook Time15 mins.
Ready In25 mins.
Chicken Escalope is an incredibly popular dish in Lebanon. This dish originated in France, and since Lebanon used to be part of the French colonial empire, so many French dishes are enjoyed in Lebanon still to this day.
What is Chicken Escalope?
Escalope is a French culinary term that is used to describe meat that has been thinned out, using a tool like a mallet. It breaks down the fibers in the meat which makes it more tender. It then cooks faster, while losing less moisture. These are very similar to Italian chicken cutlets.
To make Chicken Escalope, you want to use chicken breast. The chicken breast I used were about 7-8oz each. So, I sliced them in half, however, if you are using chicken breast that is quite larger, you want to slice each breast into 3 slices.
Once you have sliced the chicken, cover with parchment paper or plastic wrap, and pound the chicken using a mallet or anything heavy. Lightly pound the chicken until thinned out to your preference. I like to keep it a little bit thicker, but feel free to make as thin as you like. From here, you want to set up your station for coating the chicken. You want flour first, then an egg and milk mixture followed by your breadcrumbs mix.
I season the chicken with salt and pepper before coating them. I like to season the flour with garlic powder and paprika. You may add your favorite seasonings.
How to cook Chicken Escalope
You can bake, pan-fry, or air-fry chicken escalope. To pan-fry, which is the traditional way of cooking it, you want to add about ½-3/4 cup of any neutral oil to a large skillet. Once the oil is hot, add the chicken and cook over medium heat for about 4-5 minutes per side. Cook until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165F.
For baking and air-frying, which is my favorite way to cook this chicken, you want to spray both sides of the coated chicken with a non-stick spray OR drizzle with oil on both sides. Cook in the air-fryer on 390F for about 15-18 minutes depending on the thickness of your chicken. To bake, cook on 400 for 15-20 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 165F.
Season each piece of chicken on both sides with salt and pepper.
Set up the breading station…
For the second bowl, combine one egg and ¼ milk.
For the final bowl, add ¾ of breadcrumbs.
Set aside in a plate and continue with the remaining chicken.
Heat about ¾ of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place as many Chicken Escalope as can fit at a time. Cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes per side. Set aside on a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
Spray the chicken with nonstick spray and place in the air-fryer. Cook on 390 for about 15 minutes. Flip at the 7-minute mark.
Serve hot! Sahtan!
- 1½ lb. chicken breast
- ½ cup flour
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup milk
- ¾ cup bread crumbs
- 1½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- ¾ cup avocado oil or any neutral oil (for pan-frying)
- Take the chicken breast andslice in half lengthwise, or in thirds if needed. Lay the chicken breast downand place a large parchment paper on top. Using a mallet or rolling pin, poundthe chicken lightly until about a half inch thick.
- Season each pieceof chicken on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Set up the breading station,with flour in the first shallow bowl. Season with garlic powder and paprika andmix to combine. For the second bowl, combineone egg and ¼ milk. For the final bowl, add ¾ ofbreadcrumbs.
- Take a piece of chicken anddip it in the flour, coating both sides.
- Next, dredge it in the egg mixture, followed by the bread crumbs. Be sure to press the chicken down to coat everyside. Set aside in a plate, and continue with the remaining chicken.
- Pan Fry:Heat about ¾ of oil in a large skilletover medium heat. Place as many Chicken Escalope as can fit at a time. Cookover medium heat for 4-5 minutes per side. Set aside on a paper towel-linedplate to drain.
- Air-FrySpray the chicken with nonstick spray andplace in the air-fryer. Cook on 390 for about 15 minutes. Flip at the 7-minutemark.