Beet and Feta Cheese Salad
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time50 mins
Ready In60 mins
I came home that day and googled how to cook beets. I found that you can either boil or roast them. I decided to try boiling, so I threw them in a large pot of boiling water, skin on. They were on the bigger side, so they took a little over an hour. Once they are fully boiled, you find that the skin peels off with very little effort. I cut the stems off and sliced them. I wanted to make them into a salad, since serving them alone sounded so boring. I know goat cheese is often paired with beets in a salad, but I didn’t have any in my fridge. However, I did have feta cheese so I substituted that, garnished with chopped parsley and made the iconic simple Lebanese vinaigrette of olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and crushed garlic. I drizzled that on top and served it. No lie, I was wowed by their taste in this recipe and so was my husband. Beets had officially won me over.
I made this salad a few more times, eventually adding candied walnuts as well. It has become such a hit in this house, I had to make it for you guys. I hope you love it as much as we do!
In a non-stick pan, combine walnuts, butter and sugar.
Toss together until the butter has fully melted and the sugar has dissolved, about 5 minutes.
Empty the walnuts on to parchment paper and separate them so they don’t stick together once they dry.
Drizzle the vinaigrette over the beet salad and serve.
Beet and Feta Cheese Salad
- 4 Beets
- ¼ cup Feta Cheese
- ¼ cup Parsley chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 tb. Olive Oil
- 2 tsp. Lemon Juice
- ½ tsp. Salt
- ¼ cup Candied Walnuts
- ½ cup Whole Walnuts
- 1 tb. Butter
- 2 tb. White Granulated Sugar
- Boil the beets skin on, on medium-high heat for 45min to 1 hour. They are ready once they be can easily pierced with a knife.
- Once they have cooled, cut the stems off and peel the beets; the skin should easily come off. Slice the beets into thin ¼ inch slices. Place them in the serving dish.
- Crush the garlic for the vinaigrette and finely chop fresh parsley until you have ¼ cup.
- In a non-stick pan, combine walnuts, butter and sugar. Toss together until the butter has fully melted and the sugar has dissolved, about 5 minutes. Empty the walnuts on to parchment paper and separate them so they don’t stick together once they dry.
- Roughly chop ¼ cup of candied walnuts.
Mix & Prepare
- Sprinkle the feta cheese on top of the sliced beets. Top with chopped parsley and walnuts.
- Whisk together the freshly squeezed lemon juice, olive oil, crushed garlic and ½ teaspoon of salt.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over the beet salad and serve.